Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Oh, Attaturk! (er.... DeDurkheim...)

From over at Rising Hegemon, we learn of the existence of the following dismaying cultural production:

Paul Anka covering contemporary music.

According to DeDurkheim:
You must listen to "Smells like Teen Spirit," "Jump," "It's my Life," and "Blackhole Sun" as only Paul Anka can do them. This record just came out and for reasons that I am sure Paul Anka did not intend, I love these songs! Just click on the link for the first song and listen to them.

Damn it! Some of these arrangements work! Try the Ankanator's cover of "Wonderwall." Man, I need a drink.

Not as badly as I.

I'll be honest, my most vivid image of Paul Anka is not "She's Having My Baby" or anything like that. It's this:



Mystery Science Theater 3000's Girlstown. He looked roughly like this as he massacred the "Ave Maria," dodged a psycho stalker (who solves her stalking problem by becoming a nun), is outfought by another, older nun, roughs up Mel Torme, whines about being lonely, and, oh, all kinds of stuff, culminating (presumably) in Good Catholic Sex with Mamie VanDoren:



But I don't have the courage to listen to him sing "Smells Like Teen Spirit," I have to say. Aiiieee!

6 comments:

Attaturk said...

Actually, that was the blogs resident audiophile DeDurkheim with the Paul Anka post.

Put I understand the confusion.

NYMary said...

Hey, I wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for you, ya Turkish delight.....

Eli said...

Anka's version of Black Hole Sun cannot *possibly* compare to the Steve & Edie one.

I have Pat Boone's Iron Man and Enter Sandman (bouncy!) on my iPod, and Richard Cheese's Lounge Against The Machine album is just on the cusp. Also have some Black Velvet Flag.

So, yeah, this is a must for me.

Dave said...

I should buy this immediately and attempt to enjoy it unironically. I feel this would prove something significant, but I don't know what.

Rmj said...

"Rock Swings"?

Sorry, I'm overcome with uncontrollable shuddering and find myself unable to comment further.

Higher brain functions are starting to shut down.

Stop, Dave. Won't you please stop, Dave? I'm afraid. I'm afraid. My mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can...



Daisy...daisy..give me your....answer..do

cat butler said...

Perhaps it's the head trauma talking, but I really enjoyed what I heard of this Cd. I agree--some of the arrangements really work.
Others, not so much.