Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beyond the Valley of the Irksome

I have just discovered that the Left Banke's There's Gonna Be a Storm, the 1994 best-of that collected every note they ever recorded on one exquisite CD, is not only out of print, but that used copies are fetching in the neighborhood of 200 bucks on Amazon.

There's something deeply depraved about a culture in which the Pussycat Dolls have a TV show but the Left Banke's music is unavailable.

I'm consoling myself by cranking the fabulous cover of the Banke's "She May Call You Up Tonight" on the recent album by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs, but only barely.

3 comments:

dave™© said...

Hey, Steverino, you can download the tracks (though not any art) on allofmp3.com for about four bucks.

Meanwhile, I gotta check the used rekawd stores... sometimes that "oldies" shit slips through the cracks with the kids working there...

NYMary said...

Nice link! ;)

Gardner said...

Another quest awaits, I see. Queue the quest.... And thanks for the recommendation. I don't know any of the LB's music apart from Walk Away Renee and Pretty Ballerina, so obviously I need to get cracking here.

I hope you like that Sweet/Hoffs album. It's gotten some flack around the net, but I think it's a noble work and lots of fun to boot. I certainly know now I need to hip myself to Marmalade.