Thursday, March 29, 2007

Meaningless Songs In Very High Voices

From yesterday's New York Times:

Fans of the Tony Award-winning hit Broadway musical “Jersey Boys” will get plenty of its source material on June 5, when Rhino Records releases the boxed set “Jersey Beat — The Music of Frankie Valli & the 4 Seasons.” The three CDs, featuring the lead singer Frankie Valli, the guitarist Tommy DeVito, the bassist Nick Massi and the keyboardist Bob Gaudio, include 76 tracks of the band’s biggest hits and will be accompanied by a DVD of rare live performances, an 86-page booklet and other material.


Nothing has caused those who know me best -- by which I mean several ex-girlfriends and various posters at Eschaton who I've never actually met -- to doubt my sanity more than my frequent assertions that the music of the 4 Seasons (from their early hits till about 1968) is some of the most original and purest pop ever made.

Looks like I'm gonna have to address the dreaded 4 Seasons Question in some detail come this summer.

5 comments:

dave said...

I'm with you, Steverino... btw, I think "Working My Way Back to You" is one of the most mature songs ever written about male-female relationships.

mcpart said...

"C'Mon Marianne" completely rocks!

Gardner said...

Another ringing endorsement here, Steve. "C'mon Marianne" is a perfect pocket symphony. (Shout out to mcpart.) "Opus 17" never fails to satisfy even the deepest yearnings. And there's plenty more where they came from.... Address the question, and know that You Are Not Alone.

Anonymous said...

The finest 4 Seasons song is MARLENA. Let there be no doubt. Simels, find that! I dare you!
xoxo klg

Anonymous said...

How could anyone disagree? "Dawn" is their finest, if you ask me.