Monday, December 10, 2007

Baby Got Smack

A confession: Basically, up till now I've gone out of my way to avoid encountering any music by Brit bad boy Pete Doherty and his band Babyshambles, on the seemingly sensible theory that any pop act that's in the UK tabloids all the time because of conspicuous substance abuse is probably not worth listening to. But then today I thought -- hey, I love tab queen Amy Winehouse, and she's more fucked up than the drummer that got thrown out of Guns n Roses for being too fucked up to be in Guns n Roses, so maybe I'm just being a snob.

So I decided to check out this most recent Babyshambles single on YouTube.



To my not so considerable amazement, the band turns out to be be pretty much what I expected -- i.e., just like the early Kinks, except without the genius songwriter and the cool guitar player.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you described them perfectly. And he likes cats, so I can't totally hate him. But that now makes two shitty videos I clicked on tonight, and that's enough.

Heather said...

I have never understood why anyone pays him any attention at all. The Dandy Warhols were OK, never genius, and his solo stuff is eh. He's famous now for shagging Kate Moss (if there was a "most vacant couple" award, those two would absolutely be in the running) and for being the most drug-addled pop fuck-up I've seen in many long years. I mean, the guy went to jail for burglarizing his bandmates apartment, and sold the right to one of his songs to someone in a pub, presumably for drug money. Loser with a capital L.

TJWood said...

Steve:

To my not so considerable amazement, the band turns out to be be pretty much what I expected -- i.e., just like the early Kinks, except without the songwriting genius and a cool guitar player.


Probably, but more interesting than anything I've heard so far from either Babyshambles or his previous band, the Libertines. After everything we've read about him, I suppose we should consider it an accomplishment that he's able to put anything semi-listenable on to tape.

Anonymous said...

He's a Hassid? Who knew?