Wednesday, January 09, 2008

England's Newest Hitmakers

More proof that YouTube is the greatest cultural event in the history of Western Man: A Rolling Stones clip I've never seen or heard of before. It is, in fact, apparently their second-ever appearance on American television, from (I'm guessing) sometime in the fall of 1964.



Talk about fresh faced youngsters. Hell, that clip is so old even Mike Douglas looks like a fresh faced youngster.

I would also like to mention for the record that I am the proud owner of the very same vintage pre-CBS model Fender Bassman amp that Bill Wyman is using to such fine effect here. With the original tubes, I might add.

11 comments:

dave said...

Oh, we were so young then, and our hearts were full of spring!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of early performances, I recorded the "Elvis 1956" show last night ... one of his first TV appearances (if not his first) was on the Dorsey Brothers show. Talk about a study in contrasts!

steve simels said...

I actually saw that show when I was a wee 'un.

steve simels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I loved the Dorsey Brothers. I used to watch them all the time. Don't remember seeing Elvis, though!

Anonymous said...

Two comments:

The Stones are playing live, wonderful!

Steve, I believe you still have your original tubes also!

Anonymous said...

If you didn't know, you'd never think that cute kid on the right is Keith Richards.

Cleveland Bob said...

In 1964, Mike Douglas was still shooting his program in Cleveland.

According to this elaborate database which appears to chronicle the entire history of the Stones, the date was June 18th, 1964.

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/1964.htm

Them Clevo chicks were hot! :)

steve simels said...

Now that I think of it, I'm sure it was that early. I'm almost positive I saw them on a local NYC TV show that summer dressed more or less the same....

TMink said...

Original tubes! Cool. I played a nice 67 precision through that amp, but I think the school had some of the tubes by the time I started making ugly bass parts through it circa 1974.

Great bass and wonderful, warm amp with the classic bass sound as far as I am concerned. (Although a Rick through Marshalls sounds pretty good too.)

Trey

steve simels said...

Trey --

I was still using it well into the 90s, running one of those Fender hybrid thingies, half precision/half jazz bass. Forget what they're called. Anyway, sounded great....