Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday Night Glam Blogging

Here's Mud (which spells "dum" backwards, btw) with another rockin' wig lifter from 1974. Penned by glam's greatest songwriting team Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, Rocket climbed to number 8 on the U.K. charts that year. During the sessions lead singer Les Gray had spent hours working on the vocal track for the song when a junior tape operator accidently wiped it. The next day, as a goof, Mike Chapman suggested that Les sing it with an Elvis Presley voice that he had been fooling around with. That take was ultimately released and we now have a pretty good idea what the King might have sounded like if he had recorded a single with the Sweet. I really love these guys. Cheers!


7 comments:

Cleveland Bob said...

It's Elvisized Bay City Rollers meets the Kinks via the Banana Splits with just a taste of Rocky Horror and Queen.

You're a true cultural archaeologist.

Unknown said...

What Cleveland Bob said. Very cool song...

TMink said...

I was thinking Elvis meets Beach Boys with Cheap Trick playing backup, but I see where you are going Bob.

Trey

dave™© said...

Wow - I remember reading about Mud in Creem, but I don't think I've ever actually heard them before.

It was difficult enough finding Slade at the time, living in the San Joaquin Valley!

Remonster said...

Damn you KC...bleach please.

Noam Sane said...

Matching lime-green suits and nuevo-aviator shades equal glam?
I thought there had to be makeup and spacemen involved.

Anyway, hardest on the eyes is the white-boy choreography.

I assume those guys look at this now and cringe. I know I do.

Padre Mickey said...

Come on, that chorus kicks ass!
I bet it's still stuck in her head.