Monday, May 05, 2008

Auld Acquaintances

Ladies and gentlemen, from early 1965, -- here's Scotland's Number 1 beat group, The Poets and their genuinely haunting "That's the Way It's Got to Be." Note the humongous crunch-r&b bass line which powers the tune and ponder its fairly obvious influence on the Spencer Davis Group's later "I'm a Man."



I first heard about these guys, who at the time I assumed had never even been a rumor in the states, early in 2000 when (if memory serves) some indie label put out a CD covering just about every note they recorded in their brief even by Sixties standards career. A year later, "TTWIGTB" turned up on Rhino's fabulous and essential Nuggets II compilation of 60s garage rock from the UK, Europe and Australia, and since then there's been a mild uptick of interest in their work. Still, as recently as a few months months ago there was no YouTube documentation that I had discovered, so imagine my surprise, then, when over the weekend I chanced across the above clip and (even more astounding) a live version of an earlier (to my ears, inferior) song from American TV.



These guys were on fricking Shindig? Knock me over with the proverbial feather, and let me just say it again -- YouTube is the greatest contribution to the sum of man's knowledge since the Library at Alexandria at least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting but not all that special. There's a reason they didn't make it, a lack of anything with a hook to interest listeners.

ROTP(lumber)

By the way I finally viewed "Across The Universe" last night. Some moments were powerful enough to have me in tears while other moments bored me to tears. I'd give it 2 1/2 stars but I'm glad I watched it.

steve simels said...

I thought ATU was about fifty percent of a great film, but the not so great parts didn't bore me.

Just saying...