Monday, April 18, 2011

The Goys of Summer

From 1965 (and in stereo) please enjoy the unfinished, unedited and unmixed first vocal take of The Beach Boys' (couldn't be more Beatles influenced if it tried) knockout "Girl Don't Tell Me."




A few thoughts:

1) This was, if memory serves, the first Beach Boys song without backup harmonies. Also, Carl Wilson was all of 17 years old when he sang that thrillingly soulful lead vocal.

2) The above is solely the work of the brothers Wilson; Brian wrote both words and music, and all the instruments were performed by him (including the charming Buddy Holly-ish celesta), the aforementioned Carl on guitars and Dennis (although the latter's drums apparently were not yet overdubbed at this point). As a result, this may just be my all-time favorite Beach Boys track unsullied by The Genius of Mike Love™.

3) What a great fucking song -- teenage romantic angst expressed realistically yet poetically against an irresistible musical backdrop. How these guys ever got a reputation for being soulless and white-bread continues to baffle me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So right on every count!

Anonymous said...

Um, how can I hear this?

Brooklyn Girl said...

I don't get the "white bread" thing, either. Forget the striped shirts and that asshole Mike Love; these guys created some of the most amazing vocals and harmonies ever recorded.

edward said...

The song screams to be covered by Weezer;>

Faze said...

"and your shorts sure fit you fine"
The Beatles would never write that line, but I'm glad the BBs did.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely exquisite ... thanks for that gem, Steve, that should be in the Library of Congress, seriously ...

Anonymous said...

The Genius of Mike Love™ -- I hope there are some entries to come under that marquee.

AP

steve simels said...

Check this space tomorrow...
:-)

Anonymous said...

oh boy! can't wait!

Alex said...

Raw, flawed, cool, and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Just amazing. Oh, Carl....

Dave said...

One of my favorite songs by my favorite group. This is spectacular and I've never heard it before. Can't thank you enough for this, Steve.

"I'll see you this summer
And forget you when I go back to
school"

I wish Brian wrote more lyrics for the Beach Boys.