Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Records? What are Records?

From the just released second EP by Stag, please enjoy the infectious ode to vinyl (and 70s pop culture cheese in general, at least in the video) "Love Her Records."



I am informed that Stag are a bunch of Seattle club band veterans, except for the lead singer, who used to be the frontman of That Petrol Emotion, an apparently well-regarded 80s/early 90s (mostly) Brit act that I managed to miss entirely back in the day. I am also informed that their influences include The Who and Cheap Trick. I'm hearing a bit of The Raspberries and a little Todd Rundgren in the above clip as well, unless my ears deceive me.

Actually, I'm at the point lately where I don't trust my immediate judgement on bands like this. I sometimes get the feeling there's a bit of the Dancing Bear thing going on, which is to say I may enjoy what they're doing not because it's being done particularly well, but out of gratitude that it's being done at all.

I haven't made up my mind about Stag, is what I'm saying, but I'm going to check 'em out some more. If you're similarly inclined, you can start over at their Facebook page.

7 comments:

edward said...

Mostly Irish act. That Petrol Emotion were the remenants of the Undertones after lead singer Feargel Sharkey went solo.

Handn't heard of the Stags, but can clearly hear whispers of the Undertones in there.

And really cheesy video;>

Anonymous said...

Stag is a great find! Nice to know that Steve Mack is still in music. TPE was another band that clearly loved performing more than recording. from the looks of their website, they're still doing it.

Rushbo said...

Yummy.
There's a nice big chunk of 'Couldn't I Just Tell You' in the middle of that. Not a bad thing.

steve simels said...

You noticed.
:-)

jackd said...

Hey, edward, that cheese comes from 1976, so don't go insulting the days of my yewt.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Hey! I even managed to catch TPE "back in the day" as you kids say.

Unknown said...

If you want to hear a bit of That Petrol Emotion, you can do that very thing in one of my posts: http://peterspowerpop.blogspot.com/2011/02/song-of-day-that-petrol-emotion-venus.html. Enjoy!