Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Compare and Contrast: The Genius of Wayne Coyne Brian Wilson

From August of 1967, and the rehearsals for a Hawaiian tour, please enjoy The Beach Boys -- vocals by Brian and Carl Wilson with Bruce Johnston -- and a spine-tinglingly gorgeous version of the Pet Sounds classic "God Only Knows."

And from some time later (I'm not exactly sure when) and a recent MOJO Pet Sounds tribute CD, please enjoy latter-day psychedelic cult figures The Flaming Lips and their characteristically skewed take on the same song.

For what it's worth, I should stipulate here that I have never gotten The Flaming Lips on any level. I don't fault their musicianship, and their hearts are obviously in the right place, but I simply have never been able to figure out what the fuck they're on about. It must be a generation gap kind of thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pet Sounds is my all time favorite record and Flaming Lips is my favorite "current" band. That being said, the FLIPS are a much better band when they stick to their own material. They have gimmicks in the way they perform that can only be pulled off with their own music. It just comes across as trying too hard when its someone else's songs.
-Blake S

Noam Sane said...

Well, it's rock and roll, so the lyrics don't matter. "Soft Bulletin" is a classic for the ages. If that ain't power-pop, I don't know what is.

steves said...

Did you catch the Beach Boys on Fallon last night?

I'm still on the fence about this reunion. I think the backup band is doing more (i.e., singing) than they're getting credit for. Also, Brian did not look good at all. In fact, Love had to take his hand and guide him off the platform after the interview portion. Oh, yeah...and Mike Love is still a dick.

steve simels said...

Didn't see it, but I'm gonna go look now.

But you don't have to convince me about the brilliance of the backup band -- those are the guys who've been playing with Brian for over a decade, and they are the fucking best rock group on the planet. From the Wondermints on up.

And I'm posting some new music by one of those guys on Thursday.

Sal Nunziato said...

I thought "In My Room" was charming. But that only works if your eyes are closed.

Anonymous said...

they're still beating the dead horse of Tribute CD's?

Sub par bands pretending they were part of something for the ages; and they never will be.

cthulhu said...

Of course you don't get the Flaming Lips; you're not an Okie!

I used to be an Okie, but I never got the FLips either, so I had to leave...(actually, I left way before the Flaming Lips existed, but why spoil this with facts)