Monday, December 15, 2014

I've Seen Fire and I've Seen Rain

So a certain Shady Dame of my acquaintance was going through her closets a few weeks ago -- the moving process never seems to end -- and she found this towel tucked away with some other household stuff she had forgotten about.


And yes, it's from the renowned McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts, the loony bin immortalized by James Taylor in which he was institutionalized in 1965 and consequently introduced to the delights of Thorazine.

I don't know why I find this souvenir so hilarious, or whether thinking it is makes me a bad person. But I do.

3 comments:

Nancy Willing said...

Now I'll have to check the internets for this back story. I listened to Taylor in middle school - the art teacher played the album non stop. I know nothing of how it ties in with the loony bin etc.

Anonymous said...

My mom still has towels from 1964 and they look just as threadbare.

I caught Carole King's performance at the White House on being awarded the Gershwin Award. Of course, James was one of other performers. I was struck how frail he seems while also obviously full of life, while Carole has remained a force of nature.

بيع افلام 3d said...

Cooool